Photo by Roger Harnack
A Monday morning fire at the intersection of VanBelle and Maple Grove Roads destroyed a small house that sustained a fire two years ago.
As of Tuesday, February 13, 2018
SUNNYSIDE A Monday morning fire at the intersection of Van Belle and Maple Grove Roads destroyed a low-value apartment.
According to Yakima County Fire District No. 5 Capt. George Saenz of Grandview, three stations and 15 firefighters responded to 5:13 a.m. alarm.
The fire was under control by 6:08 a.m., he said.
Other assisting agencies included Yakima County Sheriff’s Office, Pacific Power and Yakima County Fire Marshall’s Office.
The wood structure fire took place on the old Maple Grove store property owned by Erasmo Delgado.
The building was vacant, Saenz said.
Saenz said the structure, with an estimated value of $15,000, was lost.
Saenz said the fire was “suspicious in nature” and being investigated by the Yakima County Fire Marshall’s Office.
Saenz said that upon arrival, the first units found the 500 square foot stand-alone home fully engulfed.
“A defensive fire attack was used due to some safety concerns,” Saenz said. “Active power lines had fallen and, on the ground, were arcing in the front yard of the home.”
Another challenge, Saenz said, was chimney that was leaning heavily to one side and could fall at any moment.
Once those concerns were addressed, fire crews were able to extinguish the fire. Although there was extensive fire damage to the building the fire was contain to the building of origin.
Multiple structures were exposed. According to one tenant, Saenz said, the property had not been lived in for the past two months.
The building did not have power and the power meter had been pulled.
This is the second time the little house at 6511 Vanbelle has burned in two years.
A fire in May of 2016 resulted in $8,000 damage and sent a family looking for new accommodations.
Nobody was injured.