As of Monday, November 14, 2016
GRANDVIEW A mother and her two children are recovering from burns after an explosion Saturday.
A 28-year-old woman suffered burns to her arms and legs. A 3-year-old child suffered unknown burns and a 5-year-old suffered severe burns to her legs, abdomen, hands and arms, Police Sgt. Kevin Glasenapp said.
He did not identify the victims.
All three were taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle after initially being transported to Sunnyside Community Hospital.
The explosion occurred in the 300 block of Munson Court, Glasenapp said. Officers arrived and found the woman lit a small fire attempting to burn papers.
“Gasoline was poured on to the fire as an accelerant,” Glasenapp said. “The gas can exploded, causing injuries.”
Neighbors reported hearing the explosion, saying it sounded like it came from an outdoor barbecue. The explosion is under investigation, Glasenapp said. “...but at this point is considered accidental.”
The woman’s home and other nearby properties did not sustain damage.