Grandview soccer rout Wapato, 4-0

‘Hounds make it three wins in a row

Grandview’s Alex Martinez collapses to the tuft and teammate Jonathon Mata (12) celebrates a goal.

Photo by Manny Dimas
Grandview’s Alex Martinez collapses to the tuft and teammate Jonathon Mata (12) celebrates a goal.


Grandview captain Israel Gonzalez races past two Wapato defenders as he makes his way to the box.

— The boys soccer team beat Wapato, 4-0, in last night’s league match.

In the first half of the game, the ‘Hounds got an early lead after Jonathon Mata played Carlos Mata for the first goal in the seventh minute.

Moments later, Anthony Macias found teammate Alex Correa to double the lead for Grandview in the 10th minute.

The Greyhounds dominated possession for the rest of the half, coming close to scoring toward the end of the first.

At the end of one, Grandview had a 2-0 lead with 40 minutes left to play.

“We created a lot of opportunities to score, and had the ball most of the half,” coach Anne Holden said.

Coming out of the break, the home team began where it left off in the first, with Alvaro Flores netting the third goal of the game in the 49th minute.

Grandview’s Israel Gonzalez added his name to the scoresheet in the 63rd minute after getting the rebound in the box and knocking it in.

The ‘Hounds kept the Wolves at bay, holding on to the 4-0 lead until the final whistle of the game.

“We feel good, and finally had a full squad available,” Holden said. “If we keep the way we play up, we’ll be a potent force in the league.”

Grandview had a busy night at goal, managing to get 13 shots on target.

The Greyhounds keeper, Antonio Garcia, had a quiet night in the box, only needing to make two saves and getting his second clean sheet in as many games.

Even with the big win, Grandview coach Anne Holden is still looking for ways to better the team.

“We want to work on switching the ball across the pitch and work on our touches,” Holden said. “Sometimes we take two touches too many.”

The ‘Hounds (4-1) travel to Ellensburg (1-4) tomorrow to face the Bulldogs for the first league game of the season. Kickoff begins at noon on the Ellensburg Soccer Field.

“They (Ellensburg) are a good team and we’ll be expecting a clean, great game when we go up to play them.”


YAKIMA — Granger soccer won its second game in a row after beating La Salle, 1- 0, during league play last night.

During the first half, both teams were unable to break through.

Not long after the intermission, the Spartans got up by one, with Javi Chavez making the goal in the 50th minute. His strike was the lone goal of the game.

Minutes following the goal, Granger goalkeeper Christian Salud made two saves to deny the Lightning the tying goal.

The Spartans held on to the 1-0 lead for the rest of the game to earn back to back wins.

“We controlled the ball well and played an okay game, but we have to get better,” coach Salvador Mendoza said.

Granger had 12 shots on target with keeper Christian Salud making four saves.

La Salle shot five times on target with Edgar Vargas having eight saves.

Granger coach Salvador Mendoza made working on finishing a priority with the team continuing to struggle.

“We’re going to have to work hard tomorrow at practice and from now on. We haven’t been finishing well and it’s one of our top priorities.”

The Spartans (2-2) host Cascade of Leavenworth (2-2) this Saturday. That game begins at 11 a.m.

“We played them last year and won 2-1, but we’re expecting a tough game this Saturday,”


BENTON CITY — The Mabton soccer team bounced back from Tuesday night’s lost, defeating Kiona-Benton, 3-1, last night.

The Vikings were still without top scorer Oscar Aguilar who is on academic suspension and unable to play.

“He’s a big addition to the team and we notice when he’s not on the pitch,” coach Junior Garcia said. “His presence is missed.”

The game began with Mabton getting an early lead when Jose Gonzalez slotted home in the 15th minute.

It wasn’t long before Ki-Be tied it up 10 minutes later in the 25th minute of the game.

The game went back-and-forth for the remainder of the first half with neither team mustering another goal.

In the second half, Jose Morales gave the Vikings the lead again, scoring in the 68th minute. Four minutes later, Gonzalez made his second goal of the game to take the score to 3-1.

The Bears had an opportunity to bring the game within one goal minutes later when the referee awarded them a penalty. But the Ki-Be player missed from 12 yards out.

After the penalty miss, the Vikings weren’t in much danger, as they went on to secure the win.

Mabton keeper Jose Camacho had 10 saves.

The Bears made 10 saves, as well.

The Vikings (3-2) next game will be at Warden (1-4) next Tuesday. Starting time is at 4 p.m. at Warden High School.

“It’s going to be a good game. We beat them, 3-2, early in the season at home,” Garcia said. “Now, we go their house and I’m sure they’ll want revenge.”


Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment