Granger council plans fireworks review

Statewide firework sales start tomorrow

— A Lower Yakima Valley city is considering a pyrotechnical firework display on private property.

The City Council at 6 p.m. tomorrow will discuss a request for the show. It meets in City Hall, 102 Main St.

Granger is one of three cities in the Lower Yakima Valley that allows personal or consumer fireworks.

Mabton and Zillah are the others allowing sale and discharge of personal fireworks.

They are also legal on the Yakama Nation Reservation.

Statewide, firework sales start tomorrow for July 4 celebrations. Sales begin at noon and end at 9 p.m. on July 5, State Fire Marshal Charles M. Duffy said.

Firework sales and discharge are not permitted in Sunnyside, Grandview and unincorporated areas of Yakima County.

However, just because a city allows fireworks doesn’t mean there aren’t exceptions.

Mabton, for example, imposed an emergency ban on fireworks last July 4 due to extreme drought.

The Yakima County Sheriff’s Office said a violation of fireworks laws is a misdemeanor and subject to a fine of up to $1,000 or imprisonment for up to 90 days.

Only enrolled Yakama Tribal Members on the Yakama Reservation are exempt, the Sheriff’s Office said.


Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment