Winery sustains $500,000 in damages

Gallo Winery, located at 2300 Holmason Rd. north of Sunnyside, sustained extensive damage yesterday (Sunday) during a structure fire at its wine production facility.

The fire occurred just before 1:30 a.m. An automatic fire alarm alerted Yakima Fire District #5 personnel to the blaze.

Firefighters arrived on scene, discovering pressurized smoke billowing from vents in the 300’x175’ structure.

Firefighters from five stations responded to the call, 25 total fighting the blaze.

Officials believe the fire started in a mechanical room.

Personnel forced their way into the structure and say it appears the fire originated at an air dryer system. The fire was contained to the mechanical room, which sustained extensive heat and smoke damage.

After the fire was extinguished, the building was turned over to Gallo Winery employees.

Officials say the cause of the fire does not appear to be suspicious in nature, but the fire marshal will investigate the incident due to the estimated monetary damage, estimated at $500,000.


Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment