Lady Grizzlies, 'Hounds tie non-league match, 2-2

The 3A Sunnyside girls soccer team this past Saturday hosted the 2A Grandview squad in a non-league match-up.

The season opening match for both teams ended in a 2-2 tie after Lady 'Hound Oryian Matheny scored in the final minute of regulation.

The Lady Grizzlies, however, opened the match with a goal from Anna Perez at the 27-minute mark. She booted the ball in off an assist from Clarisa Mungia.

"The pass was from mid-field," said Sunnyside Coach Sylvia Villagrana.

She said the match was tightly held until Sunnyside broke through the Grandview defense.

"There was a real back and forth until we finally got the goal," said Villagrana.

Sunnyside held the 1-0 lead going into halftime, but Grandview fought back.

Matheny gained possession of the ball and passed it to teammate Karissa Trinidad 16 minutes into the second half. Trinidad took advantage of the opportunity and kicked the ball past Sunnyside keeper Liz Escobar for the equalizer.

Villagrana gave the Grandview squad credit because the goal was made from an outside pass.

"It was a good shot," she said, stating each of the first two goals on both sides of the field were made as the result of a long shot.

"There was good passing from the outside in," said Villagrana.

With only three minutes left in the match and the score tied 1-1, the Lady Grizzlies were hungry for the win.

Sunnyside's Bianca Madrigal teamed up with Susana Arreola against the Lady Greyhounds' defense. Madrigal gained momentum, kicked the ball to Arreola and she was able to slip it past Grandview keeper Jamila Shafer.

The goal gave the Lady Grizzlies the 2-1 advantage, but Grandview didn't give up.

Matheny was three minutes later on Sunnyside's defensive end of the field, as was Trinidad. The duo teamed up again.

Trinidad passed the ball to Matheny, who got it past Escobar and the crossbars to end the match 2-2 just in time for the final buzzer.

Villagrana was impressed by the teamwork of the Grandview players, stating Matheny and Trinidad often caught her young squad by surprise.

"We have a lot of young players who aren't used to switch plays," said the Sunnyside coach.

She said Sunnyside could have won the match had it not been for a call on a penalty shot taken by Arreola. Villagrana said the Lady Grizzly stutter-stepped and the official called it, preventing Sunnyside from capitalizing on the goal.

Overall, Sunnyside had 22 shots on goal and Grandview made 10 attempts to score.

The Lady Grizzlies will take to the field at Eastmont this coming Saturday in the league opener.

Grandview will travel to East Valley on Saturday for another non-league match-up.


Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment