Bar owner likely stalled in effort to bring adult entertainment to downtown tavern


The owner of Egley's Sports Bar in downtown Sunnyside wants to establish adult entertainment at his Edison Avenue tavern.

Sunnyside tavern owner Chuck Egley thinks he might have a cure for what's ailing his downtown establishment.

That would be adult entertainment in the form of barely-dressed men and women dancing for customers at his sports bar near Sixth Street and Edison Avenue.

For the second time in two years Egley, who lives in Yakima, is proposing adult entertainment in downtown Sunnyside.

"It will be a male or female review," Egley said of the dancers he says would be wearing underwear and bikinis, respectively. He hopes to start providing adult entertainment this fall

He said there would be security guards and, if he gets a large enough crowd for his first try, he'd like to bring back the adult entertainers every 90 days.

Egley would also like his bar to have wet t-shirt contests.

"It's something different," he says. "The way business is right now it's not very good. It's way down from a year ago."

There could be a hitch to Egley's downtown plans, as his try two years ago resulted in a moratorium followed by a thorough, 30-page ordinance the city council approved last year that governs adult entertainment.

It essentially prohibits adult entertainment, the kind Egley is suggesting, in downtown and residential areas of Sunnyside. The ordinance stipulates areas where the businesses can operate, namely across from the Law and Justice Center and on Port of Sunnyside property near the airport.

Jamey Ayling is the city's community development supervisor, and said he received a call from Egley just this week about the proposal.

Ayling says he's working on a response to Egley's request, but that the likely answer is he won't be able to operate the adult business in downtown.

"We may have to share the news with him that he can't operate where he wants to," Ayling said.

Even if Egley wanted to open an adult entertainment business elsewhere in Sunnyside, he would still need to obtain a permit for such a business.

Ayling confirmed that Egley does not have an adult entertainment permit.

He also confirmed that in order to obtain a permit Egley would have to first pay an annual business license fee of $1,000, an annual business manager's fee of $500 and that each dancer would have to pay an annual fee of $100.


Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment