Grandview police still searching for suspect following high-speed chase

GRANDVIEW - A suspect with a felony warrant and a suspended driver's license led Grandview police on a chase last night at speeds which topped 100 miles per hour.

At press time the suspect, a Grandview man, is still at large.

The pursuit began at about 10:11 p.m. when Grandview Police Officer Mitch Fairchild recognized the suspect and attempted to pull him over.

The chase then ensued when the suspect ignored the officer's lights and sirens, noted Grandview Police Detective James Driscoll.

The chase covered more than two miles through residential neighborhoods, Driscoll said, including south on Euclid Avenue to Apricot Road, where the vehicle chase ended when the suspect crashed into a tree stump.

The suspect, whose warrants include escape from community custody and another related to methamphetamines, then fled on foot.

Driscoll said the suspect eluded Fairchild into a nearby orchard because the officer had to check on a female passenger in the front seat of the suspect's vehicle. "She said she was trying to get the driver to stop," Driscoll said of the woman, who is not a suspect.

Two additional Grandview police units were in pursuit of the suspect, Driscoll added, but the man was able to elude police in the orchard.

Driscoll did not release the suspect's name because he has not been formally charged. In addition, police are not releasing the man's name because of the ongoing search.

"He may not know that we're aware who he is," Driscoll said. "We will be making an attempt to pick him up."

In other activities on Wednesday:

-Grandview police responded to a report of a stolen purse in the 200 block of W. Second Street at 1:10 p.m. and a reported fight at about 2:52 p.m. involving 10 to 15 youths at the Grandview swimming pool.

The fight dispersed by the time officers arrived, the Grandview Police Department noted.

-At about 5 p.m. yesterday, someone came into the police department to report that their identity was stolen in the form of a credit card.

-Reports of a pair of fights just after 8 p.m. last night turned out to be verbal arguments, with no charges filed.

-A case of simple assault was reported to Grandview police at 10:01 p.m., when a complaint was filed that two daughters were assaulted/threatened in the 700 block of Washington.

-An automobile theft was reported at 10:35 p.m. in the 800 block of Cherry Lane, when a woman said her boyfriend had taken her vehicle without permission.

Grandview police responded to a total of 27 incidents from 6:42 a.m. Wednesday morning to 3:21 a.m. today.

. John Fannin can be contacted at (509) 837-4500, or e-mail


Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment